Your Commitment to the Breast Cancer Fund
Our success lies in the journey, rather than the summit, and for this team of women and men, the Climb Against the Odds journey begins in the fall of 2012.
With the support of Breast Cancer Fund staff, regional team leaders and mentors, participants begin their training and fundraising efforts in preparation for the June expedition.
Over the next several months, the team becomes active and engaged members of the Breast Cancer Fund community, and in June, climbers will gather together at Mt. Shasta for the final leg of this extraordinary journey.
To begin your journey, you must commit to:
Experience is optional—no mountaineering experience is necessary to join Climb Against the Odds. However, the physical challenge is significant and should not be taken lightly. While Mt. Shasta is a beginner’s mountaineering peak with permanent snow, and is one of the few places in the United States where you can learn basic mountaineering at moderately high altitude, participants must commit to significant long-term aerobic, anaerobic, strength and flexibility training.
To prepare adequately, you must make training a priority and we support your training program. We recommend beginning a moderate training program many months before departure, and then building up to a very strenuous level. High altitude climbing is very different from running or rock climbing, and you need to condition your body properly for it.
A one-day beginners’ mountaineering course, at climber’s expense, is also required before climbing (many climbers choose to take this course offered by Shasta Mountain Guides the Saturday before climb week). In this course, professional mountain guides will teach you use of your ice axe and crampons, step kicking, step cutting, pace setting, zigzagging up low-angled snow slopes, extensive self-arrest practice in all forms, and climb practice while roped together in small teams.
Climb Against the Odds 2013 team members will be required to raise a minimum of $6,000 in donations for the Breast Cancer Fund. The Breast Cancer Fund supports your fundraising efforts every step of the way.
Fundraising opportunities range from traditional letter- and email-writing campaigns to organized fundraising parties, lunches, dinners, LUNAFEST film festivals, drawings, hikes, spin classes and other athletic events, as well as community events such as garage sales and car washes.
The deadline for reaching the fundraising minimum of $6,000 is June 30, 2013. By committing to the fundraising minimum and the deadline, you agree that if you do not raise the minimum by June 30, you authorize the Breast Cancer Fund to charge your credit card for the remaining balance.
A registration fee of $1,750 is required to cover climb expenses advanced by the Breast Cancer Fund. The fee includes:
- Shell jacket and pants. Additional gear is donated by sponsors.
- Expert mountaineering guide service from Shasta Mountain Guides
- Wilderness permits and passes
- Shared accommodations at Mount Shasta Resort from June 16 to 21, 2013 (single occupancy, if available, for an additional fee)
- Tent accommodations and arrangements on the mountain, including group camping and commissary equipment
- Meals as detailed in the itinerary
- Climb rental gear (ice axe, crampons, helmet and harness)
The registration fee does not include:
- One-day basic mountaineering class, including any travel and accommodations, required before you climb (if you choose, this can be completed with Shasta Mountain Guides on the Saturday before climb week)
- Transportation between your hometown and Mt. Shasta
- Medical and evacuation insurance
- Some clothing and equipment, including personal items
- Climbing boots, sleeping bag, sleeping pads (these may be rented in Mt. Shasta)
- Your choice of food for summit day (breakfast and dinner are provided by guides and others)
- Any expenses (lodging, meals and recreation) for your supporters in Mt. Shasta
- Optional Friday night meals and lodging June 21
We can assist in your planning by providing cost estimates for these items.